From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-30 15:55:40

Edward Diener wrote:
> Once again, it would be much simpler if all future Boost code were in a
> single place for easy access by interested people. It only confuses me
> to hear that something is put into the vault, at some URL address I have
> to remember and root around in, and other interesting libraries are put
> into Subversion, at a particular repository. Sometimes KISS is wonderful
> when it can be done easily, and Subversion is certainly up to that task.

OK, I think you are confusing what is a UI issue with an access issue.
Using SVN is *not* the easiest thing in the world. The vault is
designed, and is effective, because it present essentially a *zero*
effort level of entry for prospective Boost developers. So IMO SVN is
not the KISS solution. That leaves your complaint about having to go
find the vault, and having "strange" looking URLs. Currently that is a
side effect of both the software we use for the vault, and of the
historical wrangling I had to do with the SourceForge services. As I've
said in the past, I would love to find an alternative library that
implements the vault functionality (all of it, as we used to have it
before I had to disable some of it for security reasons). Additionally,
to resolve the discrepancy as to the location of the vault, it can be
moved either under the svn.boost.org umbrella. Or it could be moved
under the beta.boost.org umbrella, which would put it at www.boost.org
eventually. Both of those would be on the same server.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything