From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-04 15:15:50

>> As a Boost developer, if a dependency takes too much time to stabilize, I
>> sever ties with it and reimplement the parts I need. This is rare since I
>> have low tolerance for dependencies anyway. :-)
>
> What if you depend on serialization or GUI lib or XML parser. It might not
> be possible to "reimplement" all your dependencies. And this is not a good
> practive in general IMO. Since you are causing breakage to "single
> definition rule" on library level.

There are really only two possibilities:

1) fix the GUI lib, or

2) sever ties with it, reimplement the parts you need, and explain in the
documentation how a GUI lib can be hooked by the user.

>> I understand that this mindset may be unusual. Still, I find the idea
>> that
>> the trunk is assumed to be unstable a bit odd. The trunk should be stable
>> and everyone should work to keep it that way.
>
> If trunk is stable, how do I test my development?

If trunk is not stable, what motivation do you have for testing your code?

> If I am done with my development when can I put it into "stable" trunk?

As soon as you're reasonably sure that it wont break anything.

> What if I break something?

Then you have everyone screaming, and you hope that you can do a quick fix
before someone reverts your changes to make the trunk stable again.

> What if N libraries merged their changes the same time.

This is not possible, changes are atomic.

> How long will it take t osort it out?

It'll certainly take less time to sort out compared to if the trunk is
unstable (and everyone is more tolerant to bad commits.)

Emil Dotchevski.