From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-04 16:39:51

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> "Rene Rivera" <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> Thomas Witt wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I was going to write this email, but Doug beat me to it.
>> And I guess you both beat me to it... As I was busy spending all my free
>> time trying to fix bugs for 1.34.1. Although what's below are not my
>> only thoughts on the release procedure...
>>
>>> The proposal seems to assume infinite resources in testing.
>
> Which particular part?

On-demand testing, testing of breaking-stable branch, continuous testing
of stable branch, all with high-availability and high-. Currently we can
only manage partial testing of *1* branch, in one build variation. And
now we are talking of testing at least three branches at once.

> Can we get strait to the point?
>
> What is required to make stable release? (Complete list)
> Why 1.34.0 is not stable?

Complete, interesting thought :-) I can't say I have such a complete
list. But perhaps this will give you and idea:

* Bugs attributed 1.34.0 <http://tinyurl.com/2cn7g6>, and only a small
number of them are targeted for 1.34.1.

* The inspection reports 193 non-license problems, and *1059* license
problems.

* We don't test the build and install process.

* We don't test libraries against an installed release.

* We don't test release versions, even though this is the most used
variant by users.

* We don't test, to any effective means, 64 bit architectures.

* We don't test, to any effective means, multi-cpu architectures.

> I believe spliting the directory structure will our life way simple in many
> prospectives. What complications do you see?

It increases the number of combinations that need testing. And in
complicates the build and testing infrastructure. Both of which increase
the likelihood of instability.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything