From: Jeremy Pack (rostovpack_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-04 17:27:11

Hi Janek,

> > 1 - Put a common extension on each library (in the examples, for
> > instance, every library ends with .extension - which is completely
> > arbitrary),
>
> How do you do this? I was expecting to have .so on linux, and .dll on
> windows. That's how compiler creates such files by default.
> Absolutely I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just curious.

Boost.Build handles this fine. It's certainly not required. So far, it
works on each platform that we've tested it on. To make this happen, I
just put the following at the top of the Jamfile:

import type : change-generated-target-suffix ;
import type : change-generated-target-prefix ;
type.change-generated-target-suffix SHARED_LIB : : extension ;
type.change-generated-target-prefix SHARED_LIB : : lib ;

This makes it so that all shared libraries on any platform are of the type:

lib[NAME].extension

This is very handy for cross-platform code. I used it specifically so
that the tests wouldn't have to have special cases or call any special
functions to determine the shared library names.

There is probably a better way to do this, that doesn't end up
requiring all shared libraries in the Jamfile to have the new
extensions.

Jeremy