From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-04 18:10:42

Michael Marcin wrote:
> We use 1 svn:external per project that points to an shared directory in my
> companies repository.
> I find it a constant source of trouble. People forget that they must branch
> the external separately and make erroneous checkins.
In the proposed scheme, no one would ever branch the place where the
externals are, only the imported subtrees.
> When they branch the
> external it generally is branched with a different name than the other
> branch as it must account for the name of the projec that is branching it.

This shouldn't matter either, because the externals should only refer to
the stable versions of the libraries, and development branches shouldn't
be referred to anyway.
> Our server address is different for remote access and on site access. The
> external must be updated locally to point to the external address and if it
> gets checked in accidently it breaks things.
I don't think Boost would have more than one address. If it does, this
will be a real problem.
> It may just be my client
> (TortoiseSVN) but if I show log on the folder with the external its contents
> are considered changes to an unrelated path and hidden when that option is
> enabled.

Don't know anything about this.

Sebastian Redl