From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-04 20:35:00

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> "Rene Rivera" <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>>
>>> Another direction is minimize amount to space used by temporary files. If
>>> we
>>> move toward keeping test results in DB like external host. All files
>>> produced during testing can be removed.
>> I covered this during the Testing Boost session at BoostCon. The result
>> files are minuscule in comparison with the building (obj, lib, dll, exe,
>> a, etc.) files, and they have very limited lifetime on the testers
>> machine.
>
> Than how come we end up with tens of gigs required for testing?

Because the compiled products, the obj, lib, dll, and exe are huge. They
are huge because it's C++ and has a large amount of debugging symbol
data, because templates generate log type names.

One of my long standing goals for testing, which we didn't cover during
the testing session, is to make it possible for testers to limit how
much they test. And hence make it possible for people with less testing
resources to contribute. And hopefully getting larger coverage for testing.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything