From: more effective thinking in the exceptional C++ programming language (effective.thinking_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-06 09:03:22

Thank you for the involved discussions. Picking random points on the surface
of a sphere seems to be a never-ending topic of discussion since ages!

Thank to the very interesting post of Jeffrey, I discovered a fourth
technique described in the post of George Marsaglia pasted bellow (technique
2). It can be viewed as a combination of rejection sampling and
trigonometric relations. It appears to be a clear winner in the point of
view of performances. So please consider the following updated document in
attachment as applicable.

At the end of his post, George Marsalia announce using a very fast Gaussian
distributed generator of random numbers. This algorithm could be the key to
improve the performances of both the random_on_sphere and the Gaussian
distributions of boost.

Colas Schretter