From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-06 22:04:34

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> The most critical new (to us) tool would be test-on-demand. I've been
>> very deliberately focusing on figuring out what is needed rather than
>> where we get the tool or how the details work. Now that the need seem
>> fairly firmly defined, we can start looking at what tools are available
>> to meet those needs.
>
> An excellent tool for test automation (and more) is the buildbot project
> (http://buildbot.net/trac). It allows to set up a variety of schedulers,
> triggered by a mix of timers as well as external events (such as check-in
> notification).
> It also allows to run builders (such as running test suites) on demand,
> with suitable authentication in place.

The descriptions of buildbot I've read always seem to assume that code
on a particular branch is tested. But what I'm suggesting is that in
general the stable branch is used, but that the development branch for
the library under test is switched to for the duration of the test. Thus
the stable branch is not altered (except for the working copy on the
machine doing the testing.)

Do you know if buildbot can be set to update to a different branch for
the library to be tested?

Thanks,

--Beman