From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-07 15:06:18

Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
>>> What is required to make stable release? (Complete list)
>>> Why 1.34.0 is not stable?
>> Complete, interesting thought :-) I can't say I have such a complete
>> list. But perhaps this will give you and idea:
>
> Thanks Rene. This list was very useful, as was the link to your
> presentation at boostcon.
>
>> * Bugs attributed 1.34.0 <http://tinyurl.com/2cn7g6>, and only a
>> small number of them are targeted for 1.34.1.
>>
>> * The inspection reports 193 non-license problems, and *1059* license
>> problems.
>
> Why can't these be fixed up for 1.34.1?

Because to many developers don't give a s... I tried to address this early on in the 1.34
cycle. To no avail.

>> * We don't test the build and install process.
>>
>> * We don't test libraries against an installed release.
>>
>> * We don't test release versions, even though this is the most used
>> variant by users.
>
> Yep. IMHO, this is contrary to most SWE best practices.

All to true. It's just that apart from release testing nobody has stepped up to do it.
Release testing was cut from 1.34 to avoid further delays. It's unfortunate, but we can't
solve all problems at once.

Thomas

--
Thomas Witt