From: Janek Kozicki (janek_listy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-08 17:26:13

David Abrahams said: (by the date of Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:38:56 -0400)

> on Thu Jun 07 2007, Janek Kozicki <janek_listy-AT-wp.pl> wrote:
>
> > 2. some compilers require propertiary windows OS. Giving away a clean
> > install of windows is prohibited. We can use ReactOS intead:
>
> Given my experiences trying to install recent versions of Visual
> Studio under WINE, I have my doubts about the feasibility of doing
> that

Hold on, I've just found a legal way to have a 4 month boost testing
on windows vista :)

  "Official Way to Install and Use Windows Vista without Activation for
   Free for 120 Days"

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=38289

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/extend-windows-vista-trial-to-120-days/

http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+vista+120+days

   "Windows Vista is the first Microsoft operating system to let you
    have a trial period. One of the questions that I get asked constantly
    is "Where do I get a copy of Vista?". This answer is less obvious.
    If you know somebody that has a copy of Vista, you can borrow the
    CD and use it to install in trial mode. As long as you aren't trying
    to use their serial number, there shouldn't be a problem with this."

Does it mean that we can start the Boost_at_Home project? And support
all compilers and platforms? 4 months is a lot, and during that time
we could contact microsoft to grant a license explicitly for this
project (and prohibit any other use of those vmware images). In
general this idea is supporting microsoft OS, so they might like it...

The key point here is to start the project and show how great
increase in boost testing farm it provided. With good results it
should be easier to get permission from them.