From: Nicola Musatti (Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-11 13:47:38

Peter Dimov wrote:
[...]
> I'll try to give a hopefully non-vague answer reflecting my idea of
> 'trunky' development.
>
> The trunk is where integration testing happens. If the testing
> resources can only cover one branch, the trunk is that branch.

Doesn't it imply no more HEAD/branch dichotomy, or at the very least no
tests on HEAD?

> Development occurs on the trunk via incremental refactoring. Ideally,
> changes are committed only after a test cycle, so that the reason
> for a regression can be isolated with reasonable accuracy.

Still developers should have private areas/branches/whatever to which
commit their intermediate stages, don't you think? That is, committing
changes as you say above may actually be a case of merging.

> The
> practice of a developer working on a branch (or on the local copy)
> for four months, then merging a major patch and breaking the world is
> discouraged. The practice of a developer working on a branch for four
> months and then not merging at all because the real world interfered
> in the meantime is discouraged. Non-incremental development is
> discouraged.
>
> Does this make sense? :-)

It certainly does, but isn't that similar to what I wrote here:
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/AlternateProcessProposal

possibly with extremely short stages?

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti