From: David A. Greene (greened_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-16 00:06:56

On Friday 15 June 2007 21:34, Jake Voytko wrote:

> I think if I were going this route (and I'm starting to see its merits, but
> more on that in a second), I would have all "set" functions that work in a
> chaining manner, and if I wanted to extend functionality as above, do as
> follows:
>
> void my_settings(svg_plot& plot)
> {
> my_plot . set_axis_color()
> . set_axis_line_width()
> . set_axis_line_style()
> // snip
> }

I've never understood why this kind of syntax is a good idea. program_options
uses it and I think it just confuses new users.

What's the advantage over individual function calls as Phil and others have
suggested?

I'm not passing judgement on the streaming-like interface. Just wondering why
"overloading operator.()" is good for anything.

                                           -Dave