From: Jake Voytko (jakevoytko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-16 08:32:42

On 6/16/07, Paul A Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> >I've never understood why this kind of syntax is a good idea.
> >program_options
> >uses it and I think it just confuses new users.
> >
> >What's the advantage over individual function calls as Phil
> >and others have suggested?
>
> Using the .axis_width().axis_color saves typing
> (and makes it is more compact and perhaps clearer by grouping things
> together).
>
> It is entirely optional - novice users can (should?) just use
>
> myplot.axis_width();
> myplot.axis_color();
>
> Paul

Exactly.. I would also organize the documentation to have an "Advanced User"
section where I would include this, so users looking at the docs see only
the traditional way, for lack of a better term. Users that take the time to
go through the documentation (or see themselves as advanced users) would
find this out, and people who are just looking through the rest of the
documentation would see method calls being used without chaining, which
wouldn't frighten them.

Jake