From: Richard Day (richardvday_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-19 00:28:27

Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> Ion Gaztañaga wrote:
>

>> -> Hard formatting: printf/scanf are much easier to use and they don't
>> need several hundred of function calls to do their job. The operator<<
>> overloading is also a problem if each call needs some internal locking.
>> A formatting syntax that can minimize the locking needs would be a good
>> choice. I would be really happy with a type-safe printf (variadic
>> templates to the rescue).
>>

> Something that would use meta-programming to optimize the generation of
> the formatted string would be way better than printf.
How does this improve on printf ? Not that I favor printf but I dont see
how this is any better.
Speed wise yea much better at run time at least, printf is a hog on cpu
cycles.
Do you plan on generating every possible string at compile time ?
I call that code bloat.

I dont think there is an acceptable solution to make everyone happy.
Printf is easier to use for i8n but I like iostreams interface better.
You can always write manipulators to do what you need for formatting
with iostreams if needed.

Best Regards,
    Richard V. Day