From: Peter Bindels (dascandy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-21 02:53:31

On 21/06/07, Johan Råde <rade_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Mathias Gaunard wrote:
>
> > Any application that process or display non-trivial text (meaning
> > something else than options) should have internationalization.
>
> Is there any performance penalty when using UTF-8 instead of ASCII,
> for instance when searching text?
> If there is not, then I'd be happy with an UTF-8 / UTF-16 / UTF-32 solution.

Within the bounds of the ASCII-compatible characters it's exactly the
same (up to the byte content). For the other characters it uses an
extended format that /should/ be character convertible, if all parties
follow the actual unicode standard. When searching ASCII text, it's
equal; when searching non-ASCII text all characters should have a
unique encoding and should therefore match.

Regards,
Peter