From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-29 17:27:05

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 23:12 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> [...]
> > To do it legitimately is a paperwork nightmare;
>
> But to do it illegitimately is not an option, oder?
>
> Suppose I can pay-pal donate something to somewhat free you from
> that paperwork nightmare. There's a link? Just try it.

Donate to whom? Me? David Abrahams? Beman Dawes? John Maddock?

There is no entity called "Boost"; we're a community of individuals.
That works really well until someone tries to donate money to Boost or
tries to sue Boost. Then, some individual has to take responsibility.
Donating to me means I need to pay taxes on that donation.

To donate to "Boost", we need a legal entity called "Boost", and that
means a non-profit. Non-profits require paperwork, accounting, board
members---all of the things we just don't have time for. The Conservancy
gives us non-profit status without the tedious parts of creating and
maintaining a non-profit organization.

I'm done discussing this now. There will be an announcement in the
future.

  - Doug