From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-13 23:54:18

on Fri Jul 13 2007, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>>> And there's absolutely no reason we need to have an open site. It has
>>> become de-rigeur that you have do a "register with an email address"
>>> dance to get into most public fora, and as far as I can tell spam is
>>> never a problem when that is set up.
>>
>> FWIW, I have experienced spam sent to a roundup tracker, where the spammer
>> had first registered (with the usual reply-to-confirmation-mail-authentication
>> dance). But clearly this is already much better than no authentication at all.
>
> Yes... I think we've discussed the SPAM subject to death in the past. So
> back to the request. A user with appropriate privileges, please do a:
>
> easy_install TracSpamFilter
>
> On the server ;-)

Actually that's not great advice. The problem with easy_install (and
"setup.py install") is that there's no automatic and clean way to
uninstall anything. What you should really do is download the
TracSpamFilter source, do a

         python setup.py bdist_egg

and then copy the resulting file (in the dist/ subdirectory) to your
Trac's plugins/ directory.

Then you need to enable the plugin in your Trac's admin panel or
config file and restart Trac, which usually means restarting your
webserver.

AFAIK, there are only two people who can do it: Dong-Inn Kim, who
(quite reasonably) doesn't want to field direct requests from Boost
anymore, and Doug Gregor, who IIUC is on his way to the C++ committee
meeting in Toronto.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting