From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-14 13:34:27

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> But the DTD may not be available itself.
In which case, no information is available.
> And in fact, for XSchema, RelaxNG,
> etc., there isn't even a reference to those in the document, so not even
> the name is available.

Actually, XSchema references the schemas through the schemaLocation and
noNamespaceSchemaLocation attributes (in the schema instance namespace)
of the root element. I don't know anything about RelaxNG.
> (But this discussion suggests that in fact I may remove the DTD-related
> accessors from the document interface and make it freestanding. It may
> then evolve independently.)

Yes, that sounds good.
>> True. Perhaps an API for generalized schema access can be devised.
>>

> Yes, but that would be a separate API, independent from my current proposal.
> (Which is a good thing, as it favors modularity. Users who don't need validation
> don't have to pay for it.)

Of course not. Furthermore, documents which are not valid should still
be parseable, as long as they're well-formed.

Sebastian Redl