From: Sohail Somani (s.somani_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-15 13:28:00

-----Original Message-----
From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden] on behalf of Rene Rivera
Subject: Re: [boost] Monotone phasing out use of bits of boost due to having to build external libraries

Sohail Somani wrote:
> -----Original Message----- From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden] on
> behalf of Daryle Walker Sent: Sat 7/14/2007 1:27 PM To:
> boost_at_[hidden] Subject: Re: [boost] Monotone phasing out use
> of bits of boost due to having to build external libraries
>
> I'm un-dropping off the grid to mention that the Boost mandatory
> source files should be able to be directly incorporated into a user's
> build system. It's been possible in the past. Maybe we should
> suggest to Monotone to try that first.
>
>-----End Original Message-----
>
> I second that. I do the same thing. Its just a matter of looking at
> the jamfiles for each library and setting defines/flags
> appropriately.

[snip]

So, yes, please include and build Boost sources as is most convenient
for you. And if there are problem in doing so I'd consider them bugs
that library authors should fix.

-----End Original Message-----

So given this, and John's assertion that regex is just a bunch of sources, whoever started the thread should mention that monotone should build boost using their own makefiles. They should probably also have the relevant boost sources as part of the official tree to make it easier for users and developers.

Of course, if part of the requirements for building monotone were "apt-get install libboost-dev" there probably wouldn't be any issue about building boost?

2c.

Sohail