From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-17 13:06:25

Steve Trutane wrote:

> Scorched 3D is another cross-platform C/C++ game project worth
> checking out: http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/
>
> My video game crazy 6-year old has asked about writing his own game
> and I was thinking about using this as an opportunity to dive into
> this world with him. I've been wondering what would be the best
> language/platform to use for this, in terms of ease of use, library
> depth, performance, future proofness, and programming pedagogy. At
> this stage, I'm wavering between Java and Flash, but have kept my
> radar out for a C++ game engine too. A boost-based project along these
> lines would be welcome.
>
> Steve

Now that we are totally off topic, I have had wonderful success with
my children using the Lego Mindstorm Robotics Invention Set. I started
with them at age 7. What I love about it is it teaches basic programming
constructs and ideas without having to "type" code. Visually snap'n
blocks together that provide various constructs is easy enough for a
7-year old. They are programming without needing to fight the barrier of
a written language. To top it off.... the thing actually moves along
the floor when you are done, providing that wonderful feedback of
success (or sometimes failure).

Best Regards -

Michael

--