From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-24 16:30:00

luca regini wrote:
[...]

Yes, more application level libraries are important.

> Anyway i see that still
> boost miss some pieces that are very important for enterprise
> applications:

> for example a logging library

Yes, and there have been various attempts to create a logging library.
But the price to pay for coherency, to the C++ standard libraries in the
case of Boost, is that it takes time and many times multiple tries to
come up with such libraries.

> and a database library.

Since this is a particular interest to me I must ask... What do you
consider as a "database library"? I ask because there are numerous types
of databases, and numerous interfacing to "data".

> A synchronous networking library could also be needed by some
> applications.

Could you be more specific as to what you mean by "synchronous"? And how
is that not covered by the ASIO library?

> I believe that any effort to promote boost could be
> better spent on developing this kind of enteprise code.

They don't seem to be exclusive activities to me. Do you have other
libraries in mind than the above? It would good to know what kinds of
libraries *users* want. And more specifically to add this information to
the wiki [**], so that when volunteers are looking to do work for Boost
they can have a ready set of ideas to work on. Specifically this is
something we really need if we want to continue participating in the
Google Summer of Code program.

[**] There's an existing list of library requests in the wiki
<http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?WantedLibraries>.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything