From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-26 11:51:20

Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> with the 1.34.1 release out the door, what are the plans concerning
> the repository and the various branches ? Where should bug fixes and
> other patches go ? Is the release branch going to become the new
> development branch, as was suggested in a mail some moons ago ?

As Doug said in his reply, "The Boost 1.34.1 release branch will
certainly be the basis of Boost 1.35.0."

The mechanism for that isn't for 1.34.1 to become the new development
branch. Rather, development occurs in "trunk" as always. 1.34.1 becomes
the new "stable" branch. As libraries become ready for 1.35.0, they get
merged into "stable". The criteria for being ready is that they don't
destabilize the "stable" branch. Thus "stable" is always in a state that
would allow it to be shipped with relatively little effort.

At least that's the vision I'm putting forward.

We don't have the exact mechanisms worked out. There is a lot of concern
that we not introduce complex new tools, because of concern over
manpower and fragility. I've been trying out procedures based on the
current bjam, regression testing, and Subversion tools.

The first step in all of this was to get 1.34.1 out the door. That's
done, thanks to Thomas Witt and other's hard work.

The second step is to get changed over to Subversion. That's well
underway, led by Doug Gregor.

We'll start planning the rest of it in the new few weeks.

--Beman