From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-30 06:04:31

Domenico Andreoli wrote:

>> How? pkgconfig is of no help, since it apparently does not understand
>> "give me libraries to link with when using icc" request.
>
> pkg-config is a de-facto standard but it's still not mandatory :)
>
> it would be enough to have a script, a batch or whatever (a binary built
> using bjam!) which invoked with the right parameters (i.e. toolkit,
> variant, etc.) is able to build the library name on any system supported
> by boost.
>
> e.g:
>
> 1) boost-config --module=date_time --variant=mt --toolkit=gcc
> --toolkit-version=4.2 --cxxflags
>
> everything is specified, the script has nothing to invent. c++
> precompiler flags are requested.

I agree that *if* we decide that on Unix, we need all those variants,
then such a approach will be useful -- it means users who cares about
just some boost to link to will use 'boost-config --cxxflags', while
users that want more specific variant won't have to explicitly
specify all parts of the name.

But I'd say that first we need to decide what variants should actually
be built.

- Volodya