From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-31 19:12:05

On Jul 31, 2007, at 7:08 PM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
> Here's my theory: you are checking out a large repository to a
> networked filesystem, say, NFS. The Subversion client downloads a ton
> of data and writes it to many, many small files. The networked
> filesystem slows to a crawl under the load (creating many small files
> is a particularly bad case for many networked file systems), and
> essentially the Subversion client can't keep up with the server that
> is feeding its data. After a while, the Subversion server gets bored
> of waiting for the client and closes the connection.

More evidence for this theory... you seem to have said that upgrading
from Subversion 1.3.1 to 1.4.x helped a bit. Since 1.4.0 introduced a
new, more compact representation of the working copy of a Subversion
repository, a checkout with 1.4.x requires much less disk activity (=
network activity, for a networked file system) than a checkout with
pre-1.4.0 Subversion. So, you wouldn't see the timeout problem as
often, because the networked file system is more likely to keep up
with the server.

        - Doug