From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-03 11:20:34

on Fri Aug 03 2007, Douglas Gregor <doug.gregor-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 04:55 -0400, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>> And, some comment on Doug's point about process vs. tools: I thing I find
>> rather disturbing is that, apparently, in quite a number of times checkins
>> mix different (and unrelated !) features, making it impossible to track
>> regressions back to changesets.
>
> Examples?

Some developers have seen fit to separate their development from
Boost's, and only check in to our repository after they've completed
sweeping changes to their local copies of their libraries. Some Boost
libraries are even developed in totally separate repositories.

> I haven't seen this as a real problem. The more immediate
> problem I've seen is that nearly any new feature or bug-fix in Boost is
> going to span 3 directories (boost/libname, lib/libname/test,
> lib/libname/doc), and CVS doesn't keep those things in a changeset.
>
> Subversion and Trac fixed that problem.
>
> Boost developers are smart; they don't need a process to tell them to
> keep change-sets to a single feature,

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that smartness doesn't prevent the rise
of "cussed individualists." In fact, sometimes intelligence and
intransigence go hand-in-hand.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting