From: JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-03 13:17:14

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]>
Fecha: Viernes, Agosto 3, 2007 6:06 pm
Asunto: Re: [boost] [SVN]Best Practices for developers using SVN
Para: boost_at_[hidden]

[...]
> We actually had examples of such proactive release management in past,
> and it worked good, but it's clearly time consuming. So one
> possible solution is to
>
> 1. Document the process.
> 2. Distribute it in time -- for example if we have
> a single 'development' branch, we can record all regressions
> that appear on the branch and demand that they are fixed
> in a month, or the offending commit reverted.
> 3. Distribute it over people -- instead of having
> one release manager doing all the work, we can have
> "bug masters" that will focus on regressions in a
> subset of platforms, or subset of libraries.

This last point --having platform gurus that roam the
regression landscape in search for bugs to fix in their
area of platform expertise-- is something I really think
we should encourage in an explicit manner. Specially in
abandoned libs, which are not actively evolved, new
regressions are typically a side effect of distant changes
in other libs, and these kind of problems are usually
not that hard to fix even for people unacquainted with
the code. I've done some routine fixing for libs other
than mine for MSVC++ 6.0, and, hey, it's even moderately
fun.

So maybe we should issue a call for platform gurus or
somehow officialize this role within the community.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo