From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-02 12:56:24

on Sat Sep 01 2007, Chris Lattner <clattner-AT-apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2007, at 2:14 PM, David Abrahams wrote:
>> on Sat Sep 01 2007, Chris Lattner <clattner-AT-apple.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you give me a specific example of where making the entire lexer a
>>> template would be more useful than adding a couple of virtual method
>>> calls? It isn't meaningful to lex anything other than a sequence of
>>> char's
>>
>> You're serious? It's meaningless to lex UTF-32?
>
> It's not meaningless, but templatizing the entire lexer (which
> includes the preprocessor) is not necessarily the best way to achieve
> this.

Granted. It was just the first example that popped into my head. My
point was simply that, if you're interested in creating a flexible
toolkit out of which people can build systems with the highest
efficiency, static polymorphism in its interfaces is a virtual (no pun
intended) necessity.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting