From: Frank Birbacher (bloodymir.crap_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-04 19:47:48

Hi!

Roland Schwarz schrieb:
> AFAIK this is also the model other big monolithic projects are using.
> Departing from it would require modularization of the boost library,
> which at the current state does not look like an easy task to me.

I'd prefer to have a branch for each "library" of boost. This would be a
complete (constant-time) copy of trunk. Using snvmerge we could merge
changes back and forth. Merges into trunk are done if features in a
library become stable. The trunk should pass all tests and is the source
for the release branch. Library authors could merge trunk changes in
other libraries (maybe dependant ones) into their own branch if needed.

After a library feature was completely developed the library could start
with a new branch straight from trunk if needed or could just continue
on the "old" branch (because all trunk changes have been merge in already).

Bugfixes to releases would be done in a library or on the trunk and then
merged into the release branch by the release manager. Doing it in the
trunk or library branch provides testing the change. It could then be
tested with a working copy of the release branch which has the trunk
change merged in. If it still passes tests it can be committed to the
release branch.

Comments?

Frank