From: John Zorko (jmzorko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-07 01:42:16

Dave et al,

I found the issue I was seeing with boost::filesystem::file_size() a
few weeks ago, but figured I should post it here (now that i'm back
from Burning Man and all that) in case anyone else is interested.
It's not the fault of Boost -- it's gcc. On PPC Macs, compiling
using --fast makes boost::filesystem::file_size() return a bad value,
though on Intel Macs, --fast is fine. It might be a gcc (or maybe
Apple's specific version of gcc) bug, or maybe --fast indeed works
differently on PPC and x86.

I found it interesting :-)

>>> Note the OP said Intel and PPC. The processor type is the only
>>> determinant of byte ordering that I know of.
>>>
>> But some processors have switchable byte ordering for data
>> access. See
>> the Bi-endian hardware entry in:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness
>
> Yow, PPC is one of those. Sorry!

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
http://www.fallingyou.com