From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-10 09:22:40

Rene Rivera wrote:
> Just catching up after a week vacation... I had a quick conversation on
> IRC with Volodya where he mentioned a rather appealing idea which
> happened to coincide with a similar idea I was having. He mentioned the
> idea of a "release team" to hammer out the specifics of the new release
> procedures.

As Doug mentioned, the moderators have also been discussing a team
approach to release management.

I'd like to see perhaps three people take on the job of "Release
Management", but with one of then still designated as "Release Manager"
so that there is a single point of final authority.

Beyond that, I'd like to see some specific sub-tasks delegated to
several additional small teams. For example:

* Test team. Keep the tests running smoothly and in a timely manner.

* Procedures team. Refined development and release procedures and the
documentation that communicates them.

* Web site team. Responsible for web site pages other than those for
specific libraries.

* Docs team. This one's already up and running!

* Quality team. Work on procedures and scripts to ensure releases are
complete and correct.

Those are just quick thoughts and would certainly evolve over time. The
exact breakdown doesn't really matter. The key point, however, is that
responsibility and authority is delegated so that progress can be made
in parallel and asynchronously.

--Beman