From: Brook Milligan (brook_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-16 02:32:35

I have now released version 0.3 of the Probability library, which is
available in the Boost Vault. As usual the full documentation is
available at

    http://biology.nmsu.edu/software/probability/

Although this version expands the interface by adding a few
mixed-argument arithmetic operators, the main focus is the addition of
a generic algorithm to identify the most likely paths through a graph.
This algorithm finds use in a variety of scientific and statistical
models. More importantly, though, it illustrates how well-suited this
library is to the development of generic algorithms that ensure type
safety and correctness even though template arguments may be as
different as probabilities and likelihoods, defined with different
value types, and even defined on different domains (e.g., linear
vs. log). The library makes such algorithms very straightforward to
develop; using native types to represent these quantities within a
generic algorithm would introduce artificial constraints, convoluted
syntax, maintenance difficulties, or all three.

Please review the current version of the Probability library. I think
the motivation is much stronger now that it is demonstrated to handle
generic algorithms well, even when a diversity of types are mixed
together.

I would greatly appreciate feedback on how to further improve the
library. I would also appreciate feedback from people who can (or
cannot) compile the library on other systems.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Brook