From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-18 01:23:00

David Abrahams wrote:
> A few days ago I started thinking about the implications of giving
> each Boost library a separate subtree of the repository, and it led me
> to some interesting places.

<snip>

> Thoughts?

Sounds like a great idea to me. I've worked on some fairly large projects
and keeping libraries and components in their own subtrees always makes
build and maintenance life easier.

As for my own projects, I do something very similar (but instead of 'boost'
it is 'omd').

I have "#include "omd/something_amazing.h" and then let my boost-build project
ids, usage-requirements, and dependencies take care of the rest. (I sure love
Boost.Build).

Libraries are then separated to a traditional subversion layout with each
library having a trunk/tags/branches. I don't have a slick build script to
pull a distribution together. I am typically wanting my_amazing_library and
any dependencies, so I just copy them to a client's sandbox and go from there.
It would be wonderful to do this with Boost also... especially as the Boost
offering grows. Right now I just distribute the whole thing for ease, but it
would be nice to just divide out what I need. Using your proposed structure
will provide that dependency list.

--
Michael Caisse