From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-19 11:42:51

on Tue Sep 18 2007, Vladimir Prus <ghost-AT-cs.msu.su> wrote:

>> I wasn't suggesting it as a way to solve problems with the release
>> process. However, having explicit dependency declarations would
>> probably make efficient incremental testing more practical, because
>> we'd know exactly which libraries needed to have tests run for any
>> change.
>
> "Probably"?

Uh, yeah. Sarcasm isn't really necessary here.

> The only problem with incremental testing now I know
> are stale results, which is quite separate.

The time it takes to run the tests is always a factor. Representing
and evaluating all the dependencies in the project each time is
expensive.

> I worry that yet another round of "how to place files in SVN" discussion,
> will distract from real problems.

Fair enough. I'm not claiming this is urgent or even necessarily a
problem-solver, so if there are more important things to discuss,
please raise them and re-focus our attention.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting