From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-21 04:56:33

áÎÄÒÅÊ óÅÍÁÛÅ× <andysem_at_[hidden]> writes:

> [...]

I think that performance *is* an issue, even though this will only be run once
per thread.

A check/sleep polling loop is a bad idea, as it consumes CPU time that could
be spent actually running the once routine (or another thread that doesn't
need to wait). By waiting on an OS primitive, the OS can take the thread out
of the schedule until the primitive is ready to be acquired.

Not only that, but a check/sleep loop forces a latency of at least the
specified sleep time on the waiting thread. If the initialization being waited
for only takes a few microseconds (or less --- if it's just a simple
initialization it might take only a few nanoseconds), then waiting a whole
millisecond is an unnecessary delay.

POSIX provides pthread_once. We should use it. The Windows Vista functions
look to supply a similar facility, and do at least allow the passing of a
parameter to the routine without using TSS.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk