From: Achilleas Margaritis (axilmar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-21 16:36:34

O/H Phil Endecott έγραψε:
> Achilleas Margaritis wrote:
>> Is there an STL implementation without this problem? perhaps STLPort? I
>> have to try it myself, but if anyone knows, please tell me.
>
> Here is the discussion that I had on the libstdc++ list when I was
> trying to understand this issue:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2005-05/msg00294.html
>
> At that time, the Roguewave STL was said to definitely support
> allocator::pointer, as was the Dinkumware library though there were
> some caveats about that IIRC.
>
> Since then, Ion has written his Boost.Interprocess containers (which
> are in boost svn, but not yet in a released version of boost).
>
> At the end of the thread that I link to above, Matt Austern points out
> some of the difficulties of implementing allocator::pointer. It boils
> down to this: "nobody has spelled out precisely what requirements
> my_allocator<T>::pointer must satisfy".
>

> Regards,
>
> Phil.

Thanks for the tip. After reading that discussion, it seems no STL
implementation actually uses allocator::pointer 100%.

So what is the use of defining a pointer type, if not used anywhere?

It's a shame that allocator::pointer is not used, because it would make
garbage-collected std containers very easy to do.