From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-26 03:36:21

Glenn Schrader wrote:
> Well, I hacked up a version that used status flags to return the open
> failure rather than an exception and it works find. Of course if there
> ever was any out-of-memory condition (etc) then it would just terminate
> but I view that as just part of the contract you get when you turn
> exceptions off then use an API that might throw. In practice this level
> of functionality is usable. On a more philosophical note, I don't think
> that exceptions are the "right" way to implement this. Exceptions are
> best used to signal exceptional conditions and not as a way to control
> normal program flow. An open failure, rather than being exceptional, is
> the most commonly expected case since only one process will actually not
> throw. My $0.02.

That was the case for the original Shmem (Interprocess parent) library
but in the review Boosters decided that exceptions were the way to go.

The problem with out-of memory is that getting out of memory in the
shared memory segment is more common than out-of-memory in the heap. And
crashing the program when the shared memory is full is not a good idea,
IMHO.

What I could do is to add non-throwing overloads, but I don't know when
I'll have time to do it. I would want to make the whole library
compatible with disabled exceptions (including containers and other
classes).

I know someday I'll do a non-throwing version of Interprocess because I
not a big fan of exceptions, but I don't know when ;-)

Regards,

Ion