From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-27 06:23:21

Cory Nelson wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> P.S.: If users prefer the old syntax, we can go back again to the old
>> way. Just be polite ;-)
>
> How does this affect compile time? Considering these things will
> probably only be typed once anyway for a typedef, and that most users
> will only care about a few common args, is an increase in compile time
> worth it?

That's something I expect users to judge. The new version also has some
helper metafunctions that reduce compilation times and symbol length:

http://igaztanaga.drivehq.com/intrusive/intrusive/obtaining_same_type_reducing_space.html

> I'm straddling the line of calling this "overkill in the name of
> cleverness", but I will have to try it out and see how it runs.

When the interface change was discussed there was no objection except my
worries about compilation times/symbol length. I've spent a lot of time
trying to minimize compilation times with the new approach but
obviously, they are higher than before. I repeat: if users prefer the
old syntax, I'm open to rescue the old syntax adding the features added
in the last version.

Even if I preferred the old way because of compilation times I
appreciate the new syntax. Boost.Intrusive users will make the final
choice, so I expect your comments and suggestions.

Regards,

Ion