From: James Porter (porterj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-27 10:23:19

I'd argue that that's more of a typesetting issue, since the actual code
points are fixed-width. That said, someone mentioned the Windows API's
use of UTF-16, which is one place where you wouldn't be using I/O
streams to convert to a variable-width encoding.

For certain special purposes (like the one above), a variable-width
string class would be useful, but I think we should focus on storing
strings in fixed-width encodings and then converting them appropriately
during I/O. This stays closer to the "namespace std" way, and should
solve most (but obviously not all) of the problems with character encodings.

- James