From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jbms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-27 16:25:38

"Phil Endecott" <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> writes:

[snip]

> I'm wondering about offering distinct "unit" (e.g. byte) and
> "character" types in the charset_traits class, and providing separate
> unit_iterator and character_iterator types and operations. Or maybe
> the character_iterators are best provided by some sort of "adapter"
> layer?

I think providing the code point iterators in a adapter layer is better.
The reason is that iterating over code points is just one of several
higher-level-than-byte- iterations that might be useful. In particular,
it seems that for many string manipulation tasks, even iterating over
code points is not sufficient to handle international text; rather, it
may be necessary to iterate over grapheme clusters.

[snip]

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard