From: Michael Marcin (mmarcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-27 21:07:24

James Porter wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> UCS-2 is bogus and should not be used at all. Conceivably UCS-4 is
>> legitimate but in practice not likely to be used by anyone. Still, it
>> is probably important to support it.
>

> Are there any situations where UCS-2 is actually needed (deprecated
> libraries, for instance)? If not, then I agree that we can eliminate it.

 From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCS-2

Symbian OS used in Nokia S60 handsets and Sony Ericsson UIQ handsets
uses UCS-2.

Older Windows NT systems (prior to Windows 2000) only support UCS-2. The
Python language environment has used UCS-2 internally since version 2.1,
although newer versions can use UCS-4 to store supplementary characters
(instead of UTF-16).

- Michael Marcin