From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-28 16:52:02

Phil Endecott wrote:
> Ion Gazta?aga wrote:
>> Since there is no atomic operations library in Boost I use my own atomic
>> operations (taken from apache):
>>
>> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/boost/interprocess/detail/atomic.hpp
>
> It would be great to make this a publicly-visible library, rather than
> an implementation detail of interprocess. That would avoid duplication
> of effort in e.g. shared_ptr.
>
> Note that recent-ish versions of gcc have builtins for atomic
> operations on many platforms.

I absolutely agree. Interprocess will suffer big portability problems
with this approach, but the only atomic functions I've seen officially
in Boost are those implemented in shared_ptr. Ideally, we should have
some basic atomic library/internal header (even if all atomic functions
issues a full barrier on each operation) ASAP.

I really don't want to maintain something that I don't understand ;-)

> Phil.

Regards,

Ion