From: Suto, Gyuszi (gyuszi.suto_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-28 20:05:11

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to determine interest to submit GTL to boost.
>
> History/Background
> ==================
> GTL is a geometric library that implements basic rectilinear, fixed
> point 1D, 2D and 3D types. It was developed over the past decade
> inside Intel's own EDA CAD department mainly to support advanced
> physical design tools that create/check/manipulate the massive layout
> that goes into our microprocessors. GTL comes from a codestream that
> successfully weathered through several major microprocessor tapeouts.
> The management agreed to pursue the open-sourcing of GTL via boost
> (with the boost license) - with all the obvious benefits of doing so.

Comparison to other geometric libraries
=============================
We are aware of the various other libraries available. What GTL brings
to the table:
* parametrized fixed-precision cartesian coordinates
* industrial strength code base
* directly usable on any user type via template traits - based on C++
concepts
* massive capacity
* bone-crushing speed
* isotropic API
* ease of use

> Implemented Rectilinear Types
> 1D Types: Interval
> 2D Types: Point, Segment, Rectangle, Polygon, PolygonSet
> 3D Types: Point3D, Segment3D, LayeredRectangle, RectangularPrism

Polygons
========
This is by far the most algorithmically advanced type and functionality
that we have.
1. full set of boolean operations on polygon sets (or, and, subtract,
xor, etc)
2. runtime (all n*log(n) or better) - it is at par or better than other
implementations that we're aware of
3. ease of use - simple, intuitive API functions
4. no memory management required by user
5. providing polygon set type that's complete
6. isotropic API

// example 1
// construct default empty polygons sets that will be rectangularized
// in the given orientation (on demand)
gtl::PolygonSet a(VERTICAL), b(HORIZONTAL), c(VERTICAL);
a += gtl::Rectangle(4, 5, 60, 70); // add a rectangle to polygon set a
a += gtl::Rectangle(gtl::Interval(20, 30), gtl::Interval(40, 100)); //
construct a rectangle from 2 intervals, add it to a
// .. similar additions to b and c
// intersect a with b (with a boolean and) - subtract from it a
rectangle,
// bloat the north edges of the result by 55 units
c += ((a * b) - gtl::Rectangle(10, 10, 2000, 3000)).bloat(NORTH, 55);

std::vector<gtl::Rectangle> v;
c.get(v); // populate v with the vertical rectangles that make up c