From: Michael Marcin (mmarcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-02 22:45:09

Emil Dotchevski wrote:

>>> Integration in Boost is even easier, as it can be done in a single
>>> place, in the boost::throw_exception function.
>> While technically possible, this measure requires the authors of
>> throwing libraries to reach consensus that it should happen - and a
>> single developer with objections might blow that plan.
>
> It is my understanding that calling boost::throw_exception when
> throwing an exception is a requirement, not a guideline.
>
> The price of the proposed use of enable_error_info in
> boost::throw_exception is one empty shared_ptr. In terms of space,
> this amounts to the size of two pointers added to all exception
> objects. Do you think that this would be a problem?

It also forces a dependency on boost::shared_ptr for all libraries that
use boost::throw_exception. boost::shared_ptr in turn has its own
dependencies.

Although some work seems to have been done on shared_ptr since 1.34.

It appears to no longer have a dependency on rtti which was a show
stopper for me before. I must have missed when this happened if it was
announced.

- Michael Marcin