From: Fernando Cacciola (fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-03 13:26:19

John Femiani wrote:

> I also suspect that CGAL (which apparently is not as free as boost)

CGAL is modularized and each package has its own license.

Many packages, like Basic Kernels, Number Types, 2D Polygons, etc are
released under the LPGL:

http://www.cgal.org/Manual/3.3/doc_html/cgal_manual/packages.html

which is not as free as the boost license but it's close enough for most
applications.

Furthermore, CGAL is now open-source, which means everyone can participate.
The process is similar to boost, except that is Editorial Board reviewed
rather than peer-reviewed.
For this reason I usually recommend people to contribute geometric libraries
to CGAL rather than boost.
But of course I'm biased as I am both a Boost developer and a CGAL
developer.

-----------

Dear Suto:

Now that I finally understood what your library is about, would you consider
CGAL as a home for it? AFAICT this stuff is not covered in the current CGAL
offering.
Feel free to contact me directly if would like to do that.

One comment though, I would not present it as a "geometric library" since it
focuses on one very particular class of geometry: overlapping AA
rectrangles. In typical geometric computing a "(2D) polygon" is a sequence
of points, while in your case is restricted to the overlay of axis-aligned
rectangles.
It is much easier for us if you pick less overloaded terms for your library
and its elements, to avoid confusions.

Best

--
Fernando Cacciola