From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-08 10:24:04

At the Kona meeting (just finished) the standard committee made very
significant progress on threading for C++0x -- voting in a proposal written by
Howard H, Beman, Anthony Williams, myself, and others -- subject to wording
changes to be made by a small drafting committee. Basically we were in
agreement on semantics, but even after several late night drafting sessions
people weren't happy with the standardeze.

While much of the proposal is based on Boost.thread it has some serious
departures in the way mutexes and guard interfaces work, it's use of date-time
types for clock/timing interfaces and such. At this point I feel it would be
very important to have a reference implementation widely available to Boosters
and others to play with so that any issues are shaken out while there's still
time tweak things. Howard has been maintaining a reference implementation,
but this is a call out to the broader thread development team (not sure who
all that is now besides Anthony) to consider how we might formalize this into
Boost.threads.

Thoughts?

Jeff