From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-08 17:20:15

I think the whole idea of providing the test matrix as a guide to
which compilers work with which libraries is misguided.

Installation procedure should include a local test procedure
which builds the test matrix for the user's local environment.
This was my motivation for "library_status" executable and
script. This would give a couple of advantages over the current
approach.

a) Users would be able to verify that the installation is correct.
b) Users would have a test matrix which is applicable to their
particular environment. This can be referred to in the future
to verify that that the boost facilities that they want to work
or don't work in thier environment.
c) I would permit more testing - release as well as debug, static
as well as shared libraries, etc.
d) It would make support of user problems much easier. If
someone says X in library Y doesn't work, some who want's
to help can respond "what are the results of test X on library Y".
e) someone was really ambitious he could arrange to have
the test results shipped to a central location for display - to
maintain a more complete test matrix. But this is just
a refinement not essential.

Robert Ramey