From: Simon Atanasyan (atanasyan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-12 07:45:54

2007/10/12, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]>:
> Simon Atanasyan wrote:
> > Bad news - all other version of Sun C++ have a bug. Compiler cannot
> > deduce a type of template parameter for the template specialization
> > based on function return type. Here is test case for this bug:
>
> > A possible workaround is to add unused argument that helps compiler to
> > handle template specialization: Following code works good:
> >
> > template <class T>
> > T f(T* = 0)
> > {
> > return T();
> > }
> >
> > template <>
> > float f(float*)
> > {
> > return 1.0;
> > }
> >
> > int main()
> > {
> > f<float>();
> > }
>
> So this is the same issue for which we define
> BOOST_NO_EXPLICIT_FUNCTION_TEMPLATE_ARGUMENTS and associated workarounds?

Probably yes.

> If so which versions of __SUNPRO_CC should we define it for?

Unfortunately __SUNPRO_CC denotes version of compiler without patch
number. This bug has been fixed since Sun C++ 5.9 patch-01. But it
exists in the Sun C++ 5.9. In both cases __SUNPRO_CC is equal to
0x590.

> Strangely the config tests don't pick this up: the test case is
> libs/config/test/boost_no_exp_func_tem_arg.ipp BTW.

boost_no_exp_func_tem_arg.ipp does not contain specialization of
function template where template argument is used as a return value
type only. So Sun C++ compiles this code without error.

--
Simon Atanasyan