From: Vladimir Batov (batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-13 09:12:26

Peter,

Thank you for the pointers. I had a look at your and Alan Griffiths
implementations of smart pointer classes with value/deep-copy rather than
pointer/shallow-copy semantics. That's the technique I've been looking for.
Somehow it did not occur to me to extend shared_ptr's deletion technique of
an incomplete type onto copying. Shame on me. Looks like working while my
daughter is on my lap is not exactly effective. :-)

Anyway, I see you'd been preparing your implementation for Boost but it does
not seem to have ever made it. That's unfortunate. How come it was abandoned
and sent to the fringes of Yahoo archives? We seem certain to need a smart
pointer with value semantics and the interface to match shared_ptr. There
must have been a reason for not proceeding with such a smart pointer. Or was
it? Please enlighten me so that I do not spend time writing such a pointer
just to realize I missed a simple reason we do not need it.

Best,
Vladimir.