From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-19 12:17:46

Ion Gazta?aga wrote:
> Willing to help on these implementations? We also need to write our own
> versions to avoid license issues with the original Apache implementation
> (basically we need our implementation of gcc Intel & PowerPC asm versions).

My (humble) suggestion would be to start with the compiler builtins,
rather than by writing assembler. My understanding is that gcc >= 4.1
on virtually all platforms and the Intel compiler have compatible sets
of builtins, and the Microsoft compiler has something equivalent. I
don't know about the other Boost-supported compilers - can anyone fill
in the gaps? The biggest hole that this would leave is gcc < 4.1;
what's the policy about ongoing support for older compilers?

Phil.