From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-23 11:27:10

Beman Dawes wrote:

> Looking at the regression test results, I'd like to call attention to
> these failures:

[...]

> python: import_ on many platforms

[...]

> These are particularly worrisome from the release management standpoint
> because they affect many platforms and because I'm not seeing any
> attempts to fix or markup by their developers.

<rant>
I have written the above import_ test (as well as the features tested
therein) prior to the 1.34 release, and made sure the test passes
everywhere. I have not touched the code since then.

I have no idea what causes the current failures. (It's quite likely some
runtime setting, such as controlled by the build system executing the
tests.)
However, I see a *lot* of changesets that are non-local by nature, such
as modifications to the build system, the test infrastructure, etc.
How do you expect this ever to stabilize if such changes keep coming in ?
The situation is basically the same now as it was a year ago, and it is
what let me to suggest to keep such infrastructure bits outside of
boost: To be able for the boost community to focus on the code and to
make sure the environment within which we develop isn't changing at the
same time as the code.
It seems these points are as acute as ever. :-(
</rant>

Regards,
                Stefan